The bathroom is one of the most frequently used room in the house — and one of the hardest to keep clean. Whether you are dealing with a house full of teenagers angling for bathroom time or just a spouse with less-than-pristine habits, keeping the bathroom clean, sparkling, and sanitary can be a constant struggle and an exercise in frustration.
The good news is that you do not have to let that frustration get to you. With a few simple tips and tricks, and a few inexpensive cleaning supplies, you can keep your bathroom clean, disinfected, and ready for use. Here are some simple bathroom cleaning tips and tricks you can start using today.
- Keep a squeegee in the shower and use it to whisk away moisture after your daily bath or shower. Allowing moisture to build up is an open invitation to mould and mildew, but you can keep those problems at bay with a simple squeegee.
- Make toilet cleaning easy with white vinegar. Just lift the lid, soak a few paper towels in white vinegar and use them to line the rim. Then add a gallon of white vinegar to the toilet bowl and let it sit while you clean the rest of the bathroom. When you are done simply remove the paper towels and flush for a sparkling clean toilet. The vinegar method works best on hard water stains, but it is effective against other stains as well.
- Use bins and baskets to keep your bathroom cabinets organized. Invest in a few storage bins and baskets and use them to store things like makeup, extra toothbrushes, and all those other items that can easily get lost. Having everything neat and organized can cut your cleaning time in half.
- Switch from bar soap to liquid soap in a hand pump container. This simple change will eliminate soap scum and make your countertops easier to clean.
- Install an over-the-door towel bar. If you want your towels to dry more quickly, give them plenty of space with an over-the-door towel bar.
- Experiment with different cleaners to find the ones that work best. Not all bathroom cleansers are the same, and finding the most effective ones can cut your cleaning time in half.
- Stash a spray bottle under the sink for easy access. Pour your favourite bathroom cleanser into a clean spray bottle and keep it within easy reach.
- Spray your shower curtain with a bleach solution to stop soap scum and mildew before they start. Just a quick spritz with a bleach-based cleaner a couple times a day is all you need.
- Fill the sink with warm water and add a capful of your bleach solution. Let the cleaner-infused water sit while you clean the rest of the bathroom, then pull the plug and let the water — and the dirt — out.
- Clean up dust bunnies with dryer sheets. Reserve a few dryer sheets for the bathroom and use them to clean up dust bunnies and other floor debris.
Nothing can make cleaning the bathroom a pleasant task, but the time-saving tips outlined above can at least help you get done more quickly. You can use the time you save to relax, unwind, and enjoy your home.